“…on account of the nimble motion of his versatile intelligence. And since man is born naked, defenseless, in need of everything, he obtains all of these things for himself by his own industry-which is a property of Mercury.”
- Marsilio Ficino, Three Books on Life, Book III, Chapter II
“…[render] the bearer thereof gratefull, and fortunate to do what he pleaseth: it bringeth gain, and prevents poverty, conduceth to memory, understanding, and divination, and to the understanding of occult things by dreams…”
- Agrippa, Three Books of Occult Philosophy Bk II, Chapter 22
This was a reconsecration of a Mercury talisman that had lain dormant and unused for some time. The talisman was originally consecrated on February 19th 2008 at 6:42AM. The original purpose was for prosperity and occult knowledge. To this was added eloquence and inspiration in the written and spoken word. The reconsecration was on August 20th 2008 at 2:31PM. The reconsecration election was Mercury day, Mercury hour, with Mercury dignified by Sign and Exaltation and conjunct Midheaven. Over all a potent Mercury election.
I initially had some concerns as the original talisman creation was Mercury in Aquarius (an Air sign) and the new election was Mercury in Virgo (an Earth Sign). I performed a sortilege divination and received a very positive answer that it wouldn’t cause a problem and that the operation was a good idea and would meet with success.
The reconsecration of the Mercury talisman used a number of materials which are not normally part of my altar setup. These items were:
- Eight white 7 1/2″ taper candles
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Frankincense incense
- Lace Agate Mercury talisman
- Mercury image
- Parchment Kamea of Mercury
- Orange wax
- Orange altar drape
The reconsecration ritual was based on material from the Picatrix, as that was the methodology used in the original consecration. The process consisted of eight rituals, ending on Wednesday August 27th. All rituals were conducted in the hour of Mercury.
Prior to the initial ritual the Frankincense incense was consecrated using the Incense Exorcism and Consecration and the eight white candles were dressed with the Cinnamon essential oil.
The eight consecration rituals used the following procedure:
The black and white candles were lit, followed by the lamp.
The ritual was opened with the Prayer of Joseph the Visionary
The charcoal was lit for the burning of the incense, and blessed using the Exorcism of Fire.
Frankincense incense was burned on the charcoal.
Each square of the Mercury Kamea was touched and the number for that square was intoned.
The Pneumata of Mercury were invoked using the Invocation from the Picatrix.
More Frankincense was burnt.
The Picatrix Mercury Orison was intoned.
The Picatrix Mercury Invocation was recited.
The charge to Mercury to empower the talisman was recited:
Mercury I call upon thee to bless, charge, and empower this creature of stone, that it may serve as a boon to me and grant me success in all of my occult, creative, and business endeavors. Grant it thy blessing that it may render me filled with the power of the divine, quick of wit and word and full of eloquence in speech and writing.
The Pneumata of Mercury were invoked using the Invocation from the Picatrix, with the talisman as the center point.
The talisman was then fumigated with the Frankincense incense.
The Picatrix Mercury Orison was intoned again, with the final phrase changed to a thanks and dismissal of the spirits of Mercury.
After the eighth consecration ritual, the eight candles were allowed to burn down completely. This completed at roughly 5:30PM on Wednesday August 27th 2008.
All this work just wouldn’t be worth it without some kind of results. Here’s what I’ve gotten so far from this series of rituals.
- At several times during the daily consecrations I had a clear feeling of a presence watching me. This usually started during the Mercury Orison and persisted through the license to depart. The sensation became stronger as the ritual cycle went on, reaching a high point during the fifth ritual.
- On the fifth day of consecration I had a very strong sensation of presence about half way through the recitation of the Orison. About half way through the Mercury Invocation I received a definite feeling of someone tapping their foot and telling me to get on with it already. I stopped the Invocation and asked for a sign if I was to skip the rest of the Invocation. The incense smoke curved towards me and blew in my face. This was the only time in the entire eight day consecration that the smoke moved in this manner. I accepted it as an answer and skipped the Invocation in the rest of the consecration rituals.
- I began wearing the talisman after the completion of the consecrations, and so far I seem to have a noticeably easier time following the Agrippa I am in the process of reading.
I would like to thank Christopher Warnock and Nigel Jackson from the Renaissance Astrology site for finding the election for the original talisman and for the Picatrix translations and the Mercury image used in my consecration rituals. I would also like to thank Ben Williams who posted the election used for the reconsecration to the Ritual Magic Yahoo Group.